Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
12-08-2015, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 07:57 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
(12-08-2015 02:39 PM)Gene C Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 12:27 PM)maharba Wrote:  Lincoln's atheism played well enough as a stump speech mingled with amusing gestures, mimics and jokes. Later on, and with the shrewd counsel of folks like William Seward, Lincoln saw the value of weaving in Bible platitudes into his speeches, but not into his actual worldview.

Interesting and you did a nice job of explaining your opinion of which I don't agree, but I think I understand your reasoning /comments better now. Thanks.
I second Gene, also in disagreeing.

Re."Lincoln saw the value of weaving in Bible platitudes into his speeches, but not into his actual worldview."

I cannot see Seward advising Lincoln to add this or that Bible phrase to his speeches nor that Lincoln needed any advise in this matter (while he cerertainly did ask for general feedback on wording).

I don't think Lincoln waved " Bible platitudes" into his speeches just for show. I think he seriously felt and meant what he quoted, e.g. when, following the Sermon on the Mount, he said to "let us judge not, that we be not judged". (To say the Bible is "platitudes" is anyway somewhat offensive and disrespectful IMO.)

Have you ever questioned the sincerity and faithfullness of the presidents when they took the oath on the Bible?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - Eva Elisabeth - 12-08-2015 07:56 PM