Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
10-26-2015, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2015 03:33 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
You wrote that the incident "gives every indication to me of him being a stalwart Christian".
I asked you for your definition because I cannot see how you can conclude from this incident that he was a Christian for the reasons I have already pointed out. I am fine when you say this incident shows he "lived" Christian values, but being a Christian from the theological/confessional point of view as for who is a "member of the club" e.g. first of all means confessing to Apostles' Creed:
"I believe in God, the Father almighty/ creator of heaven and earth./ I believe in Jesus Christ/ his only Son, our Lord./ He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary,.. " etc. pp.
I cannot see from the one incident he would have confessed to Jesus Christ (which is where the word "Christian" comes from, for the very reason, just to say). Thus I asked how you could fix from the example he did, or what else you mean when you speak of a "Christian". IMO it's a huge difference between being a Christian or living Christian values. So if you have your own/a different definition I would have liked to know to understand your conclusion.

It's not a perfect illustration, but maybe gives an idea of what I mean: Just because I like your country, speak your language, can sing your anthem and know your constitution, appreciate democracy and other American values that doesn't make me an American.

Another try to illustrate - this is a lamprey:

Although it looks like a fish it is biologically totally different and belongs to a separate order. (Unfortunately the English trivial order name misleadingly is "jawless fish"). If you say the snapshot "gives every indication of it being a fish", I would likewise ask you for further explanation. If you say precision and scholarly approach is not important to you, that, too, would help to clarify and understand respectively not furthermore try to understand where I question, and accept that, of course.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - Eva Elisabeth - 10-26-2015 02:43 PM