Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
10-20-2015, 12:09 PM
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer
Roger,

Your mention of McClure's Magazine piqued my interest to see if Tarbell had any dealings with Greene or Charles T. White. Looking through her papers there was nothing from either. Then it dawned on me that the article wasn't published in McClure's until 1922. By then, Tarbell was long gone and Samuel McClure was only a name on the masthead, having sold the magazine in 1911 to help pay debts. Sadly, even if Tarbell had any association with Greene or White while she was on the magazine's staff, it could be lost to history given that when McClure's moved offices in 1917, much of their Lincoln-related correspondence was destroyed. It would be interesting to know more given that one of the essays in my book deals with how Tarbell's religious views influenced her study of Lincoln's.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Christianity by Michael Burkhimer - Rob Wick - 10-20-2015 12:09 PM