St. Charles College Ruins
10-06-2015, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 12:01 AM by Pamela.)
St. Charles College Ruins

The "Ruins" as they are called are located in the middle of a tony neighborhood near Ellicott city and are owned by the community. I found them by putting St. Charles Place, Terra Maria Way, Marriotsville, MD in my GPS. The entire community sits on the former grounds of the school. There is no historical plaque, just a sign of rules which we broke by walking through them. Here is their history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Charle...,_Maryland

John Harrison Surratt met Louis Weichmann at the school in 1859. They were both recommended by Father Waldron. The school was only for students studying for the priesthood.

Here is a list of students and faculty. Louis was in year eleven, Surratt in year twelve. Note the names of Father Jenkins and Father Menu and the day and month the school opened.

http://www.stmarys.edu/wp-content/upload...8_1897.pdf

This building was a later addition to the college and not built yet when Surratt and Weichmann attended. There is a flower laid in bricks in the stone floor. I guess it's a rosette. I forgot to mention there is a deck built onto the top in another picture which will be torn down. The ruins are amazing to see in the midst of the surrounding neighborhood.

Surratt was a student for the diocese of St. Augustine, Fla., under the Right Reverend Augustin Verot, D.D., and Weichmann was a student for the diocese of Richmond under Bishop McGill.

"I desire to thank you, sir, for your testimony on behalf of my murdered father." "Who are you, sonny? " asked I. "My name is Tad Lincoln," was his answer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
St. Charles College Ruins - Pamela - 10-06-2015 11:21 PM
RE: St. Charles College Ruins - RJNorton - 10-07-2015, 05:02 AM
RE: St. Charles College Ruins - RJNorton - 10-07-2015, 05:24 AM
RE: St. Charles College Ruins - L Verge - 10-07-2015, 09:41 AM
RE: St. Charles College Ruins - Pamela - 10-27-2015, 11:38 PM
RE: St. Charles College Ruins - Pamela - 10-28-2015, 07:57 AM
RE: St. Charles College Ruins - Pamela - 10-28-2015, 10:45 AM