Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions
06-28-2016, 11:36 PM
RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions
(06-28-2016 08:07 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(06-28-2016 03:45 PM)Anita Wrote:  Laurie, what a riot! I hope you were wearing your petticoats under those hoops. Did anyone dare snap a photo?

Yep, petticoats and pantalettes. And thank the good Lord that it was in the days without camera phones.

My daughter was two when I started working at Surratt House. She and our cocker spaniel used to play hide and seek under my hoops. And, believe it or not, I used to drive a Chevy Chevette with stick shift with those skirts on. Once you shoved everything under the steering wheel, the rest was easy. You just worried about having a flat tire, and you learned to look straight ahead when stopped at a light because you were wearing a fancy head piece also.

Laurie-- thanks for sharing these stories! I have heard that hoops often twisted and had a tendency to ride up on ladies, especially if they were in movement, such as walking. Is that true?

Your story reminded me of a picture I took a couple of weeks ago of a wire bustle that I saw while touring. This bustle was patented in 1888! The display said it was used to lift the often heavy dress fabric so that it would not drag on the ground when the wearer was walking and to keep the dress shaped while sitting. Below is a picture I took of the wire bustle:

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Lincoln Extra Credit Questions - PaigeBooth - 06-28-2016 11:36 PM