The Lincoln Chair- I was there!
05-16-2015, 01:41 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2015 01:43 PM by LincolnMan.)
The Lincoln Chair- I was there!
Perhaps no other relic of the Lincoln assassination rivals the "chair." Oh, I have seen it many times before in the past. It is part of the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. But this was quite different and special. This time- and for the first time- the Lincoln assassination chair was not contained in it's glass-sealed exhibit. Instead, it was placed on a platform for all to see from any angle. It was on display this way on April 15, 2015. The day was very special st the museum. Really it was Lincoln Day. There were lots of Lincoln exhibits and Lincoln-related activites. Multitudes of people were there. Big yellow school buses full of eager children were there. I don't think I'll see another day like it. And there was the chair... sitting up there while folks gazed at it. 150 years ago from that day people didn't give it much attention. Even afterward it wasn't given it's proper respect. It languished in shadows and forgotten rooms. It may have disappeared altogether, I suppose, if it had not been for the interest and passion of Henry Ford as regards to Abraham Lincoln. He brought it out of obscurity and into the light of human consideration where it rightly belongs. That chair...what does it say to us? It says a great man- one of history's greatest- once took deserved comfort from it's padding and sturdiness. It says that life is quick as a vapor- please enjoy the day and time that you have. It says take time to love, laugh, and appreciate. That chair...

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Lincoln Chair- I was there! - LincolnMan - 05-16-2015 01:41 PM