Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?!
08-24-2012, 09:42 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2012 10:03 AM by Laurie Verge.)
RE: Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?!
Since one of Booth's letters of introduction in the fall of 1864 was addressed to Dr. Mudd - the other to Dr. Queeen - it would seem logical to me that Booth would still consider Mudd a point of contact for what was still an incomplete mission. I also contend that Mudd's house was the logical lay-over for the first night. Further evidence? I have none. I'm trying to present logical speculation.

There has always been a nagging question in my mind about the statement that, when the knock came at the Mudds' door about 4 am on April 15, the doctor asked his wife to go to the door. First, they knew that there was guerilla Boyle supposedly operating in the area; and second, proper ladies (even today) do not go to the door in their night clothes! Even if they were expecting Booth or anyone else, it just was not done. What was that statement all about?

Forgot to add about the provisions being sent ahead: In March and April of 1865, provisions were pretty low throughout most of the Southern Maryland farms and countryside. These people were wiped out from financially supporting the Confederacy, providing for their own needs, and having meat houses and pantries raided by Union forces.

Their main source of income had been tobacco production, which slowed down tremendously once the Maryland constitution of 1864 went into effect in November of that year and abolished slavery. That also slowed the production of food crops. IMO, Booth had to make sure that he could at least give Lincoln some sustenance as he was carried to Richmond - and we can assume that "two weeks prior" still meant the abduction was a possibility - not murder.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?! - Laurie Verge - 08-24-2012 09:42 AM