Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?!
08-23-2012, 04:43 PM
RE: Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?!
In agreement with Betty and Laurie.....look South. I also think that the most likely person pulling strings was Judah Benjamin. As prickly, stubborn, controlling, etc as Jefferson Davis was, I don't think he would approve or condone political assassination. I do think that Judah Benjamin would absolutely be involved without telling the commander in chief. I don't think he would have done this for self glorification, I think he would have kept Jefferson Davis in the dark for his (Davis) own good.

As for Andrew Johnson, if I remember correctly, he and the President did not see each other face to face after the inauguration. Johnson came to the Petersen house only for a brief few moments well after midnight. While in the death room, he was told that Mrs. Lincoln was coming back to see her husband, at which point he gracefully left.

An interesting antedote from Herb Collins...When Johnson died in July in Nashville, his coffin was packed in ice for the trip back to Greenville. Along the jourey, the coffin was dripping and people commented that Andy Johnson was melting away.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?! - Jim Garrett - 08-23-2012 04:43 PM