Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?!
08-23-2012, 10:28 AM
RE: Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?!
I am in total agreement with Betty on this. We may be in the minority, but there are just too many "hints" to indicate that Booth was answering to a higher authority. Surratt members will soon be receiving their September newsletter, so make sure you read the feature article.

Did Booth have a charming personality? Yes. Did he have powers of persuasion? Yes, but they only appeared to work on certain members of the gang. Arnold and O'Laughlen dropped out when the talk turned to assassination; John Surratt wasn't around because he was following orders from his superiors; Powell was following his assignment from Mosby or someone higher to support Booth; Herold was naive and star-struck, but also had connections in Southern Maryland.

Was alcohol a contributing factor? I don't consider Booth an alcoholic. I think he was like most men of his day (that were not held hostage by the temperance movement) and could throw down drinks with the best of them. The drink might fuel his fires, but I don't think it clouded his mission.

Was it an ego issue? I don't think so. I think it was a set plan to throw chaos into the Union government via capture and then murder when things went awry. I also attribute Booth's actions to his political principles which were shared by thousands of people in the defeated South as well as the Midwest and certain areas of New York.

To me, this is what makes Booth and the Lincoln assassinaton so different and so interesting as compared to at least the Garfield and McKinley ones. The 1865 event leaves so many avenues to explore - not just one based on the craziness and whims of the assassin.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Conspirators' "Supplies" - Did They are Didn't They?! - Laurie Verge - 08-23-2012 10:28 AM