Journey of Lincoln Funeral Train
05-05-2015, 03:23 PM
RE: Journey of Lincoln Funeral Train
(05-05-2015 05:08 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  This may be my mind playing tricks with me, but I just thought of something that I think (?) I may have read at some point in the past. This would be a second death (assuming the story of the Bloomington woman is true) associated with Lincoln's funeral. What I refer to is I think I read that a little boy was killed in the "crowd crush" during the Philadelphia funeral. But I have no recollection of where, when (or even if) I read that.

Roger, from a description of when the train stopped in Philadelphia.
http://abrahamlincolnsclassroom.org/abra...m-lincoln/

"... Lincoln biographer Carl Sandburg wrote: “The line of mourners ran three miles. ‘A young lady had her arm broken,’ said the New York Herald, ‘and a young child, involved in the crush, is said to have been killed. Many females fainted with exhaustion, and had to be carried off by their friends. Through two windows the double column entered and passed by the casket, a third of a million people. A venerable Negro woman, her face indented and majestic as a relief map of the continent of Asia, laid evergreens on the coffin and with hot tears filling the dents and furrows, cried, ‘Oh, Abraham Lincoln, are you dead? are you dead?’ She could not be sure.”39
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Journey of Lincoln Funeral Train - Anita - 05-05-2015 03:23 PM