Mead, Tomb & Grant .... help needed....
04-20-2015, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2015 04:49 PM by loetar44.)
Mead, Tomb & Grant .... help needed....
I have some questions, hoping someone out there can help.

(1) Does someone know when exactly the four bronze statues, representing artillery, infantry, cavalry and navy, were placed at the tomb? I have conflicting data, but suspect: navy (at the North-East corner) and infantry (South-West) both in September 1877; artillery (South-West) in April 1882 and cavalry (South-East) in 1883 (or was it 1879 ???)

(2) In june 1890 the Illinois Division of Sons of Veterans took steps to place the three allegorical figures of War, Justice and Peace on the tomb, on the level with the statue of Lincoln (placed in October 1874, South side of the obelisk). This was the original design by Larkin Mead: Freedom on the West side, Justice on the East, and Peace on the North. Does someone know why this was never done? The total cost of these three figures was estimated $15,000

(3) I’m looking for (a) photo(s) of President Grant at the dedication of the tomb on October 15, 1874. Can someone help?

A BIG thanks as always!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Mead, Tomb & Grant .... help needed.... - loetar44 - 04-20-2015 04:48 PM