Booth's Body
04-18-2015, 07:08 PM
RE: Booth's Body
Thanks for the information, Laurie! When I saw the name Fleming James, I knew I had read this name recently in a book, and indeed, Fleming James is briefly mentioned in Arthur Loux's John Wilkes Booth Day-by-Day (page 230) I have not had the pleasure of reading Fortune's Fool yet, but it is on my list of what to read next.

So, I took your advice and googled him! Unfortunately, it appears there is not much information available on him. I attempted to find a picture of him, but arrived at nothing.

Apparently (or including to some sources) no one was willing to perform a burial service for Lincoln's assassin, and the Booth family had a difficult time finding anyone willing to perform the ceremony. Somehow (or perhaps by accident) the Booth family eventually engaged the spiritual talents of Fleming James, an Episcopal minister from New York, who was visiting "friends" in Baltimore. I suspect this "friend" was a certain Reverend Dudley of Baltimore. From what I can find, it appears Dudley was asked to perform the spiritual services at John Wilkes Booth's funeral but, upon claiming he was not available to do so, he passed the job onto his friend Fleming James, who claimed he had no knowledge of the identity of the deceased person he was performing spiritual services for. Indeed, I found several sources claiming Fleming James was not told the deceased was JWB, and that Fleming simply believed he was lending a helping hand. Personally, I have my doubts about this, but regardless, Fleming performed the ceremony.

After the burial of Booth, Fleming James remained in Baltimore and was for some years Rector of Saint Mark's Protestant Episcopal Church. When Fleming finally returned to his congregation in New York, he lost his job. One thing of particular interest that I did find, however, was that Fleming James apparently felt compelled to send a letter to the New York Times justifying his actions concerning Booth; the letter is dated June 30, 1869, but I am unable to find the letter. But yes, I am still searching!!

Well, that is all I was able to come up with for right now, Laurie; I will continue to search as I am certain all of what I found is already well known information. Have you ever read the letter Fleming James wrote to the New York Times? I did find an issue of the New York Times dated June 28, 1869, which seems to discuss Booth's funeral in some detail, but I would have to subscribe to view the full article; not sure if Fleming James would be mentioned there or not.

P.S. As a fellow Southerner, I do think it was terrible Fleming James lost his job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(04-17-2015 10:23 PM)BettyO Wrote:  Great photos, Paige! And an interesting subject. The burial of Booth and the conspirators has always fascinated me.

Thank you, Betty! Yes, the burial of the conspirators is indeed remarkable; Powell being among one of the most fascinating!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Booth's Body - PaigeBooth - 04-17-2015, 01:29 PM
RE: Booth's Body - PaigeBooth - 04-17-2015, 04:25 PM
RE: Booth's Body - L Verge - 04-17-2015, 04:37 PM
RE: Booth's Body - PaigeBooth - 04-17-2015, 06:27 PM
RE: Booth's Body - L Verge - 04-17-2015, 06:54 PM
RE: Booth's Body - BettyO - 04-17-2015, 10:23 PM
RE: Booth's Body - PaigeBooth - 04-18-2015 07:08 PM
RE: Booth's Body - L Verge - 04-18-2015, 07:36 PM
RE: Booth's Body - PaigeBooth - 04-19-2015, 06:33 PM