"Rare, eerie photos of the Civil War from Matthew Brady and Alexander Gardner"
04-12-2015, 01:07 PM
RE: "Rare, eerie photos of the Civil War from Matthew Brady and Alexander Gardner"
(04-10-2015 10:42 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  "We now look back at the Civil War with a curious fascination detached from the gruesome reality of the death and destruction afforded us by the 150 years that have passed.

"Much of what we know about the conflict comes from the pioneering work of a small group of early photographers.

"In 1861, President Abraham Lincoln himself granted permission to allow a Washington photographer access to battle sites to document the war.

"That photographer, Matthew Brady, and his employees, including Alexander Gardner, documented warfare in a way that almost no one had done before."

http://www.ctpost.com/news/article/150-y...186407.php

Thanks Linda. Your first statement is so 100% correct. I own the much acclaimed Ken Burn's "Civil War" and that is the very reason I cannot sit through each episode of it...I have to skip some of them. It's tempting to romanticize the events of 150 years ago and forget how truly horrible the whole thing was. It bears repeating...War Is Hell.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Rare, eerie photos of the Civil War from Matthew Brady and Alexander Gardner" - LincolnToddFan - 04-12-2015 01:07 PM