Vindicated of What?
03-16-2015, 02:41 PM
Vindicated of What?
I received this email from a publisher today about a new e-book of historical fiction and stretched my eyes when I saw the line "Surratt Society Vindicated..." Vindicated of what? I responded, but was told that they do not issue review copies and that the author was going to contact me directly since I had helped him. His name is familiar, but I'm not sure what I helped him with! Since the Surratt Society does not take a stand one way or the other as to Mrs. Surratt's guilt or innocence, I am really curious. Any one here do e-books? I refuse to consider those things until they destroy every good old book in the world!

PRESS RELEASE
John Wilkes Booth’s DNA Tested in Provocative New Novel that Explores Mystery behind Assassin's Death
[/color]Surratt Society Vindicated! Or are they…[color=#FF4500]?
March 16, 2015 – New York, NY – This spring look out for a frighteningly unique new book about presidential assassin, John Wilkes Booth.
On April 7, The Man In The Barn: Digging Up Lincoln's Killer, a modern fictional thriller by Nate Chura, will be available in all major e-bookstores, with an official release date set for the paperback edition on April 26 – the 150th anniversary of John Wilkes Booth’s death.
“I truly hope it sparks a national conversation about a multitude of things,” said Chura, when commenting on some of his book's more controversial themes, chiefly a century-and-a-half-old conspiracy theory about one of the most notorious assassins in history.

On April 14, 1865, John Wilkes Booth shot President Lincoln in the back of the head at Ford’s Theatre in Washington D.C. Afterwards, Booth jumped to the stage and shouted, “Sic semper tyrannis,” and miraculously managed to flee the capital on horseback with a broken leg. Twelve days later, Union forces surrounded the assassin and shot him dead at Richard Garrett’s barn in Virginia.

That's what the history books will tell you. But for over a century, others have argued that a political conspiracy reaching the highest levels of government perpetrated the greatest hoax ever played on the American public...and that Booth, who was working on behalf of Vice President Andrew Johnson, escaped.

In The Man in the Barn: Digging Up Lincoln’s Killer, an ambitious young journalist, Daniel Boland, believes he has discovered the true story behind those historic events. With the reluctant aid of his friend, Dr. Al Pearson, a disgraced former psychiatrist, Boland sets out to reveal a cover-up – past and present – of epic proportions. But in doing so, Boland and Pearson traverse a very dangerous path...and the closer they get to the truth, the more perilous their journey becomes.
"I've done my best to present both sides of the story in a compelling way," Chura said. "And by setting the narrative in the present day, I hope readers will better be able to grasp the complex details of the case and make their own decision about the fate of John Wilkes Booth."

Nate Chura is a New York writer and researcher. Chura’s subjects are varied, ranging from tennis to arts and culture, to local news. He has written for numerous media agencies, including NPR member station WNYC Radio and the Brooklyn Daily Eagle. The Man in the Barn: Digging Up Lincoln’s Killer is Chura’s first novel. It is the second part of a series by Chura about the Booths. The prequel to the novel is a full length play entitled The Ghost of Edwin Booth, performed at The Players Club (founded by Edwin Booth) in 2009, on the anniversary of Booth's 176th birthday.

THE MAN IN THE BARN
Digging Up Lincoln's Killer
By Nate Chura 221 pp.
New Memphis Press.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Vindicated of What? - L Verge - 03-16-2015 02:41 PM
RE: Vindicated of What? - Thomas Thorne - 03-16-2015, 09:27 PM
RE: Vindicated of What? - L Verge - 03-17-2015, 06:16 PM
RE: Vindicated of What? - L Verge - 03-18-2015, 12:55 PM
RE: Vindicated of What? - GARY POPOLO - 03-18-2015, 02:14 PM