Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
02-22-2015, 10:29 PM
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination?
Gene, thanks for asking this question again. I have been thinking about it in relation to several of the more recent thread subjects, and I must admit to being more open to the possibility of Booth making a stop at the boarding house than I was before. I can't say I am convinced but I do think it a possibility.

Part of the reason being, the discussions of Booth's revolvers/gun belt as well as having re-read testimony on what items were in Booth's possession when he was killed. When he actually pulled the trigger, I just can't believe that Booth was wearing/carrying a gun belt and revolvers, carrying an extra hat, carrying his diary with personal photos, his meerschaum pipe, and any of the other numerous items that have been described in his possession at the time of his demise. Now certainly some of the more general items were provided by Jones.

But that still leaves the guns and belt, a replacement hat, the diary/photos, the pipe, and maybe a couple of other items. It is most certain that Booth was not wearing a gun belt and was not wearing a hat when he left the theatre. There has been some debate as to whether he was carrying his revolvers and the other items. There was also some debate about the hat. Some made the point that based on the type of saddle he had, any saddlebags (if even present) would have been small and would not have accommodated many of those items.

For the sake of argument let's say he wanted to keep his possessions to a minimum when actually shooting the President so as not to hinder his movement in a sticky situation. To me, that would leave af few possibilities as to where the personal items came from.
- David Herold had them and passed them along to Booth when they met up.
- Booth had stashed them at the boarding house (or maybe elsewhere) earlier in the night.
- They were passed along to him by another unknown conspirator.

I can't shake the feeling the Booth would not have trusted Herold with the items. He had some role in the various assassinations planned for the night. What if Herold got caught? What if they did not meet up after the assassination for some other reason?

In this day and age we hear all the time about preparing a "go bag". Vital items in a bag that one could grab quickly to leave with in case of an emergency. Maybe Booth had just such a "go bag" stashed at the Surratt Boarding House. A quick pass by to grab the "bag" and he was again on his way. He could have done this easily without interacting with anyone. This "detour" would have only taken a few minutes and a route to the Navy Yard bridge could have still taken him across the Captiol grounds (if in fact that was him that rode that way that night).

Was Booth wearing a hat when he crossed the Navy Yard Bridge? Was he wearing a gun belt at that time? I don't remember for sure, but I think he was at least wearing a hat.

Again, I've not convinced myself of the "go bag" scenario but I am more open to such a possibility than I was in the past.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did JWB visit Mary's boarding house after the assassination? - STS Lincolnite - 02-22-2015 10:29 PM