Seward House Exhibit - Powell and Seward
02-18-2015, 08:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2015 08:35 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Seward House Exhibit - Powell and Seward
(02-17-2015 07:25 PM)L Verge Wrote:  
(02-17-2015 07:02 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Wow, what a fantastic program! I badly need to win the lottery...(also for the Springfield tour). What is a Reuben sandwich (I guess it has nothing to do with Lincoln and the "Chronicles of Reuben")?

I don't know much about a Reuben except that I enjoy one every now and then. It is made with corned beef or pastrami, Swiss cheese (or Monterey Jack), sauerkraut, and Thousand Island dressing on rye bread. I have always associated it with those wonderful Jewish delis in New York. Some places are now substituting turkey for the corned beef or pastrami.

I learned today that a Reuben becomes transgender when you make it with turkey and substitute cole slaw for the sauerkraut. It is then called a Rachel. BTW: In either case, it should be a grilled sandwich, not a cold one, if done properly.

(02-18-2015 03:50 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  That's great, Betty. You'll love the Seward House Museum. It's full of fascinating things, many of which came from the Old Clubhouse in Washington D.C. such as the gilded chairs in the parlor.

Eva, you can find the Seward House pamphlet from 1955 on Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/sewardhouse00foun

The gift shop at the Seward House sells what appears to be a beautiful, color rendition booklet of the house and grounds. However, it sells for $24.95 plus tax and shipping.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Seward House Exhibit - Powell and Seward - L Verge - 02-18-2015 08:33 PM