"Alabama's ties to the Lincoln Assassination: 3 strange tales"
02-14-2015, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2015 01:33 PM by L Verge.)
RE: "Alabama's ties to the Lincoln Assassination: 3 strange tales"
(02-13-2015 07:04 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  
(02-13-2015 05:13 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Another son of Alabama that could be mentioned (even though not arrested as part of the Lincoln plot) would be Joseph Pinkney [Pink] Parker, who erected a monument to glorify John Wilkes Booth.

[Image: pink-parker.jpg?w=690&h=905]

Pink Parker was an interesting man indeed...

James O. Hall may have been the first of our gang to bring Pink's story to light. He admired the gent.

(02-13-2015 05:13 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Clement Clay is a very "interesting" character in his own right and has always been under suspicion for playing a role in the Lincoln plotting via the Confederate Cabinet. He would fit in perfectly in the European conflicts of the 1800s because he was a revolutionary at heart and thought nothing of "disposing" of opposition leaders who had a tyrannical streak. Wild Bill and Rick Smith have done some studying of Clay, I believe.

Another son of Alabama that could be mentioned (even though not arrested as part of the Lincoln plot) would be Joseph Pinkney [Pink] Parker, who erected a monument to glorify John Wilkes Booth. http://southernhistory.blogspot.com/2011...usual.html

I need to apologize to y'all for a gaff and also to Clement Clay. I erroneously mixed Senator Clay up with George Sanders when I said that Clay thought nothing of "disposing" of heads of state. Mr. Sanders was the fiery revolutionary, not Clay. Clay was involved with the St. Albans Raid endeavor, however.

Clay's wife, Virginia Tunstall Clay-Clopton is an interesting (and good-looking) lady in her own right. Some of you may be familiar with her memoir, A Belle in the Fifties, which describes society and culture in that era. Both her husband and Jefferson Davis were imprisoned for a year in adjoining cells at Fortress Monroe. I found references to both Virginia and Varina Davis making repeated efforts to secure their husbands' release, but never a mention of Mrs. Clay being arrested.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Alabama's ties to the Lincoln Assassination: 3 strange tales" - L Verge - 02-14-2015 12:59 PM