The Legend Of John Wilkes Booth
02-03-2016, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 06:57 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: The Legend Of John Wilkes Booth
(02-03-2016 09:29 AM)maharba Wrote:  I found this old note in my files, don't know if it was online or from a clipping.

The Paducah Sun June 04, 1903
Morley...the sole survivor of the pallbearers who carried what is supposed to be Booths remains to the tomb in Green Mount cemetery today made the surprising statement that it was only a mock funeral...He now says: "I have never cared much about talking in regard to the truthfulness of the statement that John Wilkes Booth was buried in Green Mount cemetery for there has always been a certain amount of doubt existing as to whether or not the assassin of President Lincoln
was ever captured killed or even shot. But in order that I might clear up at least one supposition I'll tell you positively that his body is not and never was buried in this city to my knowledge. Certainly the body buried in Green Mount was not that of Booth..."
Just to add to Roger's clear reply - I think this "scoop" belongs to the same category as does "THE TRUE STORY OF PRESIDENT LINCOLN'S ASSASSINATION AS BROADCAST BY MRS. NELSON TODD FROM STATION W.O.R." on Feb.11, 1928, in which Mrs Todd "revealed" the following:

"Here is what did happen, and I think I am the only person that knows how Booth made his escape. Knowing Booth, it was only natural that my interest was keen enough to attract my attention back to the stage even though I know Lincoln was assassinated. When Booth's spur caught and threw him to the stage he broke his leg in a terrible way, so that the bone actually protruded through his trousers and smeared the stage with blood. Naturally he couldn't move. Laura Keen leaned over and patted his head. Then to my amazement I saw a rope swing out, evidently thrown by some confederates, lasso him and whisk him into the wings. That was the last time I ever saw John Wilkes Booth."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Legend Of John Wilkes Booth - Gene C - 01-31-2015, 12:30 PM
RE: The Legend Of John Wilkes Booth - Eva Elisabeth - 02-03-2016 06:55 PM