The Legend Of John Wilkes Booth
01-01-2016, 03:04 PM
RE: The Legend Of John Wilkes Booth
I read somewhere that a pistol (derringer?) that either John St. Helen or David George had had hidden away, that it was recovered and is or was in some small town museum. I can't locate the old clipping or item, just now. I think it was in El Reno OK but maybe Granbury TX. My guess is that if a man approached the city and offered a few thousand they would sell it. I have seen items in small museums that somehow seem to disappear over time, with perhaps a small newspaper item that..some items had been sold to reduce inventory.
And there are at least 2 interesting items I have seen about JWBooth's derringer dropped in the Ford Theatre. I seem to remember that I concluded that THAT derringer was likely just one of a matched set of two derringers.

In researching the Legend of Escaped John Wilkes Booth, I have come across some curious coincidental incidents. Those items are never brought out in the Finis Bates and Mummy narratives. One where a grown man 'remembers meeting the escaped JWBooth' at his father's house, as Booth is passing through. Then in researching the father, beyond the surface level of the old article, I see where and how the father really would have known the real JWBooth in Baltimore earlier, and that (his brother) was instrumental in setting up the original
elements of the Confederate government. Yet in the old newspaper article --the boy grown into a man--had known none of this, or mentioned any of it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
The Legend Of John Wilkes Booth - Gene C - 01-31-2015, 12:30 PM
RE: The Legend Of John Wilkes Booth - maharba - 01-01-2016 03:04 PM