A new work on Emilie Todd Helm's visit to Lincoln's White House
01-26-2015, 03:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2015 03:06 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: A new work on Emilie Todd Helm's visit to Lincoln's White House
Donna, Harold Holzer (editor) in "The Lincoln Mailbag", p. 117, claims that on December 8, 1863, Emily took the following oath of allegiance:
"'I, Emily T. Helm, do solemnly swear in presence of Almighty God that I will henceforth faithfully support, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States, and the union of the States thereunder; and that I will, in like manner, abide by, and faithfully support all acts of Congress passed during the existing rebellion with reference to slaves, so long and so far as not repealed, modified, or held void by Congress, or by decision of the Supreme Court; and that I will, in like manner, abide by, and faithfully support all proclamations of the President, made during the existing rebellion, having reference to slaves so long and so far as not modified, or declared void by the Supreme Court. So help me God.'
In return for signing this affidavit - which Lincoln wrote out himself, and then rewrote in order to keep a copy in his files -...Emily was given the following presidental pass:..."

Please go here: https://books.google.de/books?id=mKH2hDb...CBYQ6AEwBA

Donna, so you are sure this is wrong?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A new work on Emilie Todd Helm's visit to Lincoln's White House - Eva Elisabeth - 01-26-2015 03:06 PM