The uniqueness of Lincoln's beard
05-12-2015, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2015 06:03 AM by loetar44.)
RE: The uniqueness of Lincoln's beard
Never thought that I ever would write some words about facial hair! So this is an unique moment for me! After reading all the comments I did some research today and found that indeed the majority of men who were U.S. president have been always clean shaven. I think that John Quincy Adams was the first U.S. President to have notable facial hair, with long sideburns. But after him the first with facial hair was (indeed) Abraham Lincoln. I don't think Martin van Buren would qualify Laurie. From Lincoln through the end of William Howard Taft’s term in 1913, every president (excepting just two, Andrew Johnson and William McKinley) sported a significant beard, moustache, or both. Since 1913, and before 1861, not a single president wore a beard or moustache of any kind (except JQA). Lincoln grew a full beard in September 1860.

In answer on Bill's remarks, I also found that facial hair began to enjoy unprecedented popularity in the second half of the 19th century. By the end of this century, men in Europe and the United States wore facial hair almost universally. Side-whiskers gained popularity first, becoming commonplace in Europe by 1810. Moustaches followed close behind, and by the 1830s, beards, too, became increasingly mainstream. After the French revolution, beards soon spread from France to Britain, and then, in the 1850s, to the United States. Is there an explanation? I think yes. The nineteenth century was a period of profound social change in Europe and the United States. It was then that the social roles of men and women changed. Until then, men had laid claim to public places like taverns and city streets, while women were confined the home. But suddenly nineteenth century women increasingly made themselves a vocal and visible part of the places and spaces men had previously claimed as their own. This challenged and troubled many men. Were they now creating a distinct masculine appearance to distinguish themselves from women as a reaction to women’s changing role in American social life? Why I’m wearing a moustache? Where is Freud?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The uniqueness of Lincoln's beard - loetar44 - 05-12-2015 05:19 PM