Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore?
01-25-2015, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2015 07:43 AM by loetar44.)
RE: Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore?
(01-24-2015 08:23 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  
(01-24-2015 07:17 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  So Mary would have remained alone in the White House?

I agree on the need for a definitive and credible source for Tad being there as it disagrees with everything else I have read. I may be influenced by my gut feeling which tells me that there is no way Mary would have let Tad out her site.

I agree with you, Scott (and the others) and also am asking: what was Holland’s source? Thanks for the link Eva! Remember that Holland published his words in 1866 and all other accounts are dated later, so maybe his account is true. I personally tend to believe as a possibility that Tad accepted the situation and maybe realized that he was obliged to be there, though his mother struggled with overwhelming emotions and did not want that. After all it was the funeral of his father ! Of course contemporary local newspapers reported the funeral in full detail and if Robert and Tad were indeed there, the papers of Springfield would have mentioned that. Maybe an idea to check that and put that on your list too Scott, when you are visiting Springfield and a newspaper repository. I understood from your earlier post that you are planning a visit next month.

BTW. Doing research on the net I came across this very interesting article:

http://illinoistimes.com/mobile/articles...w/id:14079
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Robert Lincoln Ride the Funeral Train to Baltimore? - loetar44 - 01-25-2015 07:40 AM