My New Book on Civil War in Illinois
03-05-2015, 12:11 PM
RE: My New Book on Civil War in Illinois
Everyone, I'm sorry I didn't respond to the questions. I haven't checked the symposium as much as I should lately.

There were four official POW camps in Illinois, and I devoted a section of my book to them.

As all of you have indicated, there was the Rock Island Barracks, in addition to Camp Douglas in southern Chicago, Camp Butler near Springfield, and the Alton Prison. Douglas and Butler were originally muster-in points, while Alton was the former Illinois State Penitentiary.

All had severe issues with smallpox, particularly Alton, where prisoners were quarantined on an island in the Mississippi.

Rock Island received prisoners from Chattanooga in late 1863. As an aside, Margaret Mitchell earned that prison some unwanted -- and untrue -- notoriety by giving Rock Island as the place where Ashley Wilkes was held prisoner in the novel Gone with the Wind (I think he was at Elmira in the movie).

Again, I apologize for not offering something sooner, and I appreciate the comments of the members on my new book. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My New Book on Civil War in Illinois - Tom Emery - 03-05-2015 12:11 PM