Lincoln's Secret Spy: The Civil War Case That Changed the Future of Espionage
11-08-2014, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2014 08:24 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Lincoln's Secret Spy: The Civil War Case That Changed the Future of Espionage
(11-08-2014 03:23 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(11-08-2014 02:53 PM)L Verge Wrote:  ...because Lincoln would never resort to spies...
I have read that President Lincoln even used his podiatrist, Dr. Isachar Zacharie, to spy for the Union.
Quoted from this website:
http://www.shapell.org/manuscript.aspx?a...r-zacharie
"Of the fifteen hundred testimonials affirming the wondrous talents of the renowned British chiropodist, Issachar Zacharie, this is the most interesting:

Dr. Zacharie, has, with great dexterity, taken some troublesome corns from my toes - He is now treating me, and I believe with success, for what plain people call back-ache. We shall see how it will end.

It is the first of three such testimonials Lincoln would write for Zacharie,...by March, Issachar Zacharie would be his personal spy and confidential agent. Why, when, where, how, and even if, Lincoln chose Zacharie – or Zacharie, Lincoln – is unknown; but that Zacharie had a confidential role to play in Lincoln’s administration, and a special relationship with the President, is undeniable. By spring 1863, Zacharie was in New Orleans, reporting to General Banks, and to Lincoln, on various aspects of that city’s occupation. Doing everything but practicing chiropody, he tracked troop movements, gunboats, and transports; reported all manner of gossip; noted the status of Union currency; and did what he could to help the poor, especially Jews, who were caught up in the exigencies of war. He also proposed, or ran, a spy ring comprised of itinerate Jewish peddlers.

By summer, Zacharie was sanctioned to explore, with five thousand Confederate cash in hand, the possibility of a negotiated peace – a mission to which Lincoln added his imprimatur as well. Reputedly, Zacharie met with the Confederate Secretary of State, the Jewish Judah Benjamin, and other high Southern officials. The New York Herald somehow got wind of the story, and published a fantastic version of it; though whether Zacharie’s account of his personal report to the President is any less fanciful than, say, Jefferson Davis quitting the South to run Napoleon out of Mexico, is impossible to say. 'Mr. Lincoln detained me 2 hours, locking his doors and preventing any person from having access to him,' Zacharie wrote to Banks upon returning to Washington. 'He seemed to be delighted with my revelations.'

Lincoln’s 'delight' with Zacharie seemingly lasted the rest of his life, for as late as January 25, 1865, he was still writing things for his friend. 'About Jews,' he instructed Secretary of War Stanton, 'I wish you would give Dr. Zacharie a pass to go to Savannah… I promised him long ago that he should be allowed this…'

Zacharie was described, by a detractor, as splashily-attired, with oiled hair, and a presence perfumed sweeter than 'the winds that blow from Araby the blest.'"

(More about his illustrious career: http://strangeside.com/lincolns-chiropod...-zacharie/ )
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lincoln's Secret Spy: The Civil War Case That Changed the Future of Espionage - Eva Elisabeth - 11-08-2014 07:31 PM