R L Lee head sculpted on back of Lincoln's at Memorial
09-16-2014, 01:15 PM
RE: R L Lee head sculpted on back of Lincoln's at Memorial
(09-15-2014 08:31 PM)wsanto Wrote:  
(09-15-2014 04:57 PM)STS Lincolnite Wrote:  Alas, the point is all moot as there is no face of Lee carved in the back of Lincoln's head (I'm a little disappointed a tour guide would say this when with a little investigation its proven false). With some imagination one could possibly be coaxed into seeing what may be construed as a profile of Lee but that is all - and tenuous at best. See the nps website linked below for a picture of the back of Lincoln's head in French's sculpture. Also addresses a couple of other questions about French's sculpture.

http://www.nps.gov/linc/faqs.htm
The apparent profile in the pic above is evident but might be an illusion. It's hard to look at it and not see Robert E Lee if you are so predisposed.

Although, if it was intentional, it was brilliant sculpting to put a profile of Lee on the statue from one angle when his face is not at all evident when viewing the back of Lincoln's head with a direct view.

I'm starting to believe it may have been a brilliant sculpting illusion.

(09-15-2014 05:59 PM)L Verge Wrote:  If you read the NPS link, you probably noted that one of the questions was as to whether one can tour the basement of the Memorial. The answer is no, but about twenty years ago, you could participate in appointment tours of the caverns under the Memorial. I say caverns because it is filled with stalagtites and stalagmites (which I'm sure I just misspelled). There is also a lot of graffiti left behind by the workmen.
That's interesting. I guess the stalactites and stalagmites are remnants of the construction?? Why would anyone want to go to the basement anyway?

The Lincoln Memorial was built on a very marshy area of the city, and lots of fill dirt was brought it. I think the stalactites (thanks, Bill) and stalagmites are natural growths from the variety of dirt and water that is all mixed up down there mixing with the deposits of marble and granite from the Memorial itself???
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: R L Lee head sculpted on back of Lincoln's at Memorial - L Verge - 09-16-2014 01:15 PM