Valerian Wine
08-07-2012, 02:09 PM
RE: Valerian Wine
(08-07-2012 01:58 PM)Natty Wrote:  Although I have been unable to find a definitive list of ingredients, I am quite familiar with Valerian Root, which is still a common ingredient here in over the counter sedatives and anti-anxiety medication, known in Germany as “Baldrian”. The active component of Valeriana officinalis is valerenic acid, a sesquiterpenoid accumulated in the essential oil of the root. Although the exact mechanism has not yet been determined, it is suspected that valerenic acid docks the same receptors as certain anesthetics; studies on rats have confirmed that it acts on subtype GABAA receptors as an allosteric modulator, interfering with the sleep-wake-cycle and resulting in the accumulation of GABA, leading to a sedative effect, relieving anxiety and convulsions. Its exact interaction with human physiology has not been clarified, nor do we know precisely how the additional components of the essential oil may play a role in its effect on the body.

Historically, Valerian root has been used as perfume, antiperspirant, sedative, anti-convulsive and even as medication against the plague or to guard against witchcraft – during the 19th century, it was used similarly to how it is currently applied, as a sedative, often referred to as a “stimulant” because it affected nervous behavior and induced sleep and muscle relaxation.

I have tried preparations myself, to ease anxiety and insomnia, but experienced no noticeable effects. The only thing I am left with from this experience is the memory of the stench radiated by the tea as it brewed. How this odor was ever considered a pleasant perfume is a mystery to me!

My observations on others who have digested this root have yielded similar results with no exhibition of any extreme reactions. Mild drowsiness and feelings of relaxation are all I have to report – my roommate’s mother regularly takes a tablet 30 minutes to an hour before retiring to bed and claims to sleep peacefully. She does not complain of any high levels of incapacitation or lingering drowsiness in the morning.

I’ve read accounts of the execution where Mary Surratt, Atzerodt and Herold could barely walk to the scaffold – if this was due to the Valerian Wine, I highly suspect it may have been laced with laudanum, as I find it hard to believe that anyone could react so fiercely to the consumption of Valerian Root.

Great post, Natty!

We had supposed that the Valerian Wine given to Mrs. Surratt and Herold (Atzerodt had Brandy) made them a little woozie.....perhaps they had something laced in it to make it a bit stronger. Powell refused to take this stuff ...or anything else for that matter!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Valerian Wine - Natty - 08-07-2012, 01:58 PM
RE: Valerian Wine - BettyO - 08-07-2012 02:09 PM
RE: Valerian Wine - Natty - 08-07-2012, 03:23 PM
RE: Valerian Wine - RJNorton - 08-07-2012, 03:31 PM
RE: Valerian Wine - Natty - 08-07-2012, 03:44 PM
RE: Valerian Wine - Laurie Verge - 08-07-2012, 04:21 PM
RE: Valerian Wine - Natty - 08-07-2012, 06:19 PM
RE: Valerian Wine - L Verge - 08-07-2012, 07:16 PM
RE: Valerian Wine - Natty - 08-08-2012, 05:48 AM