Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas (plural), worse, and much worse
07-04-2014, 03:54 PM
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas (plural), worse, and much worse
(07-03-2014 07:05 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  Why compared to 1865 was taking note of " unpleasant displays of a lack of discretion" that unavoidable in 1867 so that the "respect for the memory of one of the best loved and most worthy of the sons of the republic" could be neglected then?

Don't you consider it odd that not any 1865 account exits of such an - as I understand you think - obvious, inexcusable public faux-pas? And what would you say if a court judged someone guilty of a deed only upon the deed's mentioning in a newspaper article two years later - without any witness' name or sources?

I looked up Professor Burlingame's reference to the speech disruption on the Knox college website. There was also this reference which was not in the book: Clara Harris in Timothy S. Good, ed., We Saw Lincoln Shot: One Hundred Eyewitness Accounts (Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 1995), 70.

I looked up the Timothy Good book on Google books and brought up the book preview. Unfortunately, the preview excludes page 70.

If anyone is going to make a comment on this incident favorable to Mary Todd Lincoln, it would be Clara Harris. I would like to know what Clara Harris said regarding the incident.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas - Gene C - 06-12-2014, 10:32 AM
RE: Mary Todd Lincoln's faux pas (plural), worse, and much worse - David Lockmiller - 07-04-2014 03:54 PM