"Loathing Lincoln: An American Tradition From the Civil War to the Present"
05-14-2014, 03:50 PM
RE: "Loathing Lincoln: An American Tradition From the Civil War to the Present"
Mr. Barr,

Thanks for posting, and I hope we hear more from you. I skimmed through your blog quickly and realized that I am out-of-date on my readings (and will probably never catch up). As a member of the board of advisers of The Lincoln Forum, I remember quite well a slight furor of about a dozen years ago when Lerone Bennett was invited to talk at the annual meeting in Gettysburg. I was pleased that the executive board took the stance that Lincoln students needed to hear all sides of the story.

Mr. Bennett was an interesting speaker/preacher (that's how I interpreted his presentation - more of the old-time revival manner of delivery) and held the audience's attention. The audience was also courteous enough to hold their tongues! In many ways, he said things that needed to be said (as has Thomas DiLorenzo) in order to attempt to get different views and interpretations on Lincoln the man, the politician, the American, and a product of his times. Whether or not one agrees with anti-Lincoln positions, one should consider them and their value to history.

BTW: I noticed from your blog that your Master's thesis was on the Lincoln assassination. I hope you can offer some views on that from time-to-time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Loathing Lincoln: An American Tradition From the Civil War to the Present" - L Verge - 05-14-2014 03:50 PM