St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer?
01-14-2017, 05:56 PM
RE: St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer?
I owe a reply to several people, but I can't type it near the Question. So, bear with me and I'll get to all the questions.

Rick (Garland) Smith Finding horses late in the war was a problem not limited to southern Maryland. It was everywhere in the South. I am aware that the Union provided a horse to their Troopers, but Rebel Riders had to provide their own. So, a Rebel could be granted Leave, to find a new horse. Usually, he first looked at home. Mom and Dad knew this and tried to keep a few good horses - well hidden.
In the absence of a horse at home, he could choose one from the Union Cavalry, not necessarily "after a Battle".
This problem was sometimes settled at a man's Parole. If the horse could be proven to have been stolen, or confiscated - by checking the Brand Mark etc. He would not be allowed to take that horse home. (that might be a good reason to not seek a Parole)
I don't know if Jett and Bainbridge ever fought a battle for Mosby - and lost a horse - and came home to find a horse - but they were on Conrad's horses at the Rappahannock. (see CR Pg 465 Para. 2)
I believe Conrad keep a string of horses for the use of his "Crew" and for his many needs for a fresh horse.
(I will do some more after supper.)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: St. Peter's or Horsehead? Is the Stage Route the Answer? - SSlater - 01-14-2017 05:56 PM