Appomattox surrender- 149th anniversary
04-12-2014, 05:06 AM
RE: Appomattox surrender- 149th anniversary
(04-11-2014 10:31 PM)LincolnToddFan Wrote:  I believe THAT was the moment that sealed Lincoln's fate.

Back when I was teaching this would have been termed a subjective question. I think this is a tough call, but IMO I will go with Toia on this. I think the speech had a lot to do with it. Harney's mission had failed, and I am assuming Booth knew that; if you combine that failure with Lincoln's speech I think the makings for Booth's final decision are there. Within a day or two of this we know that Powell began scouting the Seward home. There are indications Herold was sent into the Maryland countryside to alert folks "something" was about to take place. On April 13th Booth asked John Deery to secure tickets for the box that adjoined where the Lincolns would be sitting if they attended the show at Grover's Theatre. George Atzerodt checked into the Kirkwood House early on the 14th and most likely had been told to do this by Booth on the 13th. If I were forced to place a bet on the "decision day" I think I will place it on April 11th. (This isn't to say that Booth had not been contemplating something for a long time previously.) Regarding my bets, I must fess up that they often are wrong. Laurie occasionally reminds me that I predicted Bodemeister to win the 2012 Kentucky Derby, and he lost.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Appomattox surrender- 149th anniversary - RJNorton - 04-12-2014 05:06 AM