"Don't Hurry Me Down to Hades"
12-28-2013, 12:59 PM
RE: "Don't Hurry Me Down to Hades"
I just ordered the Hades book. I have to say, however, that I really appreciated one comment in the publisher's article. Over the years, I have struggled to complete quite a few books that were written only to please academia, not the public who needs to learn the history. These books "feature" obscure subjects and subject matter, boring text filled with big words, personal dogma and philosophies of the author thrown in for good measure, etc.

The comment in this article that turned me on is:

Meanwhile, “Don’t Hurry Me Down to Hades” is Ural’s third book. She says she tried to make it readable for members of the general public, meaning more narrative and less “academese.”

“I think one of the mistakes academics make sometimes is that they’ll scoff at the ignorance of the public, but they won’t talk to the public. They’ll basically write books for each other,” Ural said. “To me, one of the big motivators of this book is that there is a very intelligent reading class out there, and it’s our job to tell it in a way that is not high academese.”
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Don't Hurry Me Down to Hades" - L Verge - 12-28-2013 12:59 PM