My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address"
12-01-2013, 06:01 PM
RE: My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address"
You are so right, Karin, and from the grassroots up. There are many fine teachers in elementary and secondary schools that are much better qualified to develop curriculum than many PhDs teaching on the college level. Those college professors often forget the basics of their subject matter as well as human growth and development patterns as they climb their ladders to tenure and publishing.

I had some great professors in college, but I am especially reminded of one history professor who had thirteen doctorate degrees. When he walked into commencement exercises with his hoods and his stripes, he looked like a strutting peacock. In the classroom, however, his "teaching" technique was to write everything that he was going to test you on on the blackboard each day. You were to copy that verbatim - right down to the commas and the periods. Oops, by the time that was done, there was no time for discussion! So, sorry...

And yes, we were required to spit it out via our pen tips word for word and comma for comma when test days came along. Tell me that's education.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address" - L Verge - 12-01-2013 06:01 PM