My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address"
12-01-2013, 11:16 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 11:25 AM by irshgrl500.)
RE: My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address"
(12-01-2013 06:01 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Anita, I don't know what Lincoln would say, but I am against it. We used to discuss things like this in faculty meetings. I worked with a relatively small staff, but the arguments over how to teach often divided the staff as almost everyone had their own ideas. If the method in question were discussed, I know some of the teachers would probably have supported it.

The Civil War Trust (http://www.civilwar.org/education/teache...sson.html)
has some interesting Gettysburg Address lesson plans, for various ages, which are designed to follow the standards (the common core)(age specific). The plan and exercises, held my Adult ESL Student's, attention
(at the intermediate level), and it opened up some great questions, and discussions.

[quote='Rob Wick' pid='27401' dateline='1385910323']
Mike,

I'm certainly not saying that there aren't legitimate questions that need to be addressed, but in the admittedly brief searching I've done on the issue, most people who are opposed to it do so for political reasons. The education of our children is too important to be left solely to politicians of either stripe. Educators are the best judge of what works, and it seems to me that the discussion also has to acknowledge that what worked when I was in school may not work now.

Best
Rob
Agreed!
The National Governors Association (NGA) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) led the development of the Common Core State Standards; Teachers, Educators, Parents, and School Administrators merely provided input, into developing the Common Core.

[font=Verdana][/font]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address" - irshgrl500 - 12-01-2013 11:16 AM