My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address"
12-01-2013, 09:10 AM
RE: My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address"
We must be reading two different things then, because in the document that can be downloaded, on page 15 it says "What are the people who are assembled at Gettysburg there to do? The aim of this discussion is to clarify the situation and context for the speech, specifically, that it is the dedication of a graveyard to soldiers who lost their lives in the civil war." The columnist who wrote this is doing so with an obvious agenda against the Common Core Standards. "Imagine learning about the Gettysburg Address without a mention of the Civil War, the Battle of Gettysburg, or why President Abraham Lincoln had traveled to Pennsylvania to make the speech. That’s the way a Common Core State Standards “exemplar for instruction” — from a company founded by three main Core authors — says it should be taught to ninth and 10th graders." She's wrong from the outset. The standards, from the quote I provided, clearly mention the war and the context for the speech.

I'll admit that I haven't paid much attention to this Common Core debate, but I can't help but feel that since many of those opposed to it are conservatives, some more reasonable than others, this is a non-issue. Even Jeb Bush supports them. Has everyone read the entire document?

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address" - Rob Wick - 12-01-2013 09:10 AM