My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address"
12-01-2013, 06:01 AM
RE: My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address"
Anita, I don't know what Lincoln would say, but I am against it. We used to discuss things like this in faculty meetings. I worked with a relatively small staff, but the arguments over how to teach often divided the staff as almost everyone had their own ideas. If the method in question were discussed, I know some of the teachers would probably have supported it.

The reason this link was sent to me (by a friend who was also my college roommate in 1965) was that he knows me well enough to know I would be shocked and dismayed by this teaching method. I posted the link because I was curious how others would react. I simply cannot imagine myself teaching the Gettysburg Address in this manner; it was always taught in context in my classroom. Not only did I do it that way, every single teacher I had growing up who covered the address did also. Most of my web pages are simply intended to give student the basic idea of something and are not meant to replace the teacher, textbooks, etc. My web page here includes a brief overview of some of the key thoughts I presented to grade school students when I was teaching. That page was originally written in 1996, and over the years I have occasionally added to it, and it now contains more information for students than the title suggests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My "150th Anniversary of the Gettysburg Address" - RJNorton - 12-01-2013 06:01 AM