Honora Fitzpatrick after 1860's
11-08-2013, 10:08 AM
RE: Honora Fitzpatrick after 1860's
(11-08-2013 06:11 AM)Cliff Roberts Wrote:  Hi Susan. A number of interesting figures connected in some way with the assassination quickly drifted into obscurity. Honora is one of them, Joseph Burroughs is another. I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to track down these elusive "ghosts" from the past! Anyway, to jump-start your search engine, so to speak, here’s some information I gathered on Honora Fitzpatrick that might help you. She was born in the District of Columbia about 1845, so she was almost 20 when she boarded at the Surratt's. The l850 census shows her living with her father James Fitzpatrick, age 50, born in Ireland; a sister Hannah (Anna), age 11, and a brother Peter P., age 9, both born in D. C. Also living with the family are Patrick Fitzpatrick, age 27, and Ellenora McNamee, age 22, both born in Ireland; their relationship to Honora’s family, if any, is unknown. There is no listing for James Fitzpatrick’s wife, so Honora’s mother may have died.

On January 13, 1870, “Norah” Fitzpatrick married Alexander Whelan, a painter and grainer, and the couple had at least three children, all boys: James Alexander, b. July 17, 1870, d. April 6, 1927; Bernard Alexander, b. January 27, 1874, d. unk; and John, b. November, 1879, d unk. Honora died in D. C. on January 7, 1896; services were held at Church of the Holy Name.

Honora’s siblings both devoted their lives to the church. Brother Peter P. Fitzpatrick studied at Gonzaga College and later taught Greek and Latin there under Father Benjamin Wiget (who later ministered to Mary Surratt while she was in prison). After completing studies at Mt. St. Marys, Emmettsburg MD, Rev. Fitzpatrick S.D. became a professor at Loyola College and associate pastor at St. Ignatius Church, in Baltimore. He died at the Loyola rectory on December 10, 1886, at age 49 (going by the 1850 census, his age was probably closer to 45).

Her sister, Hannah (Anna) entered the Carmelite Convent, in Baltimore, at age 21 and spent the rest of her life there as Sister Michael. She died at the convent on March 12, 1895, at age 59 (going by the 1850 census, her age was probably closer to 56).

There's a lot missing - still don’t know who Honora’s mother was (came up with one or two possibles but nothing certain); also don’t know when her father James died. I’ve got a little more on her boys if you want it. Hopefully, you've got enough now to at least get started on filling in the blanks! Warning: You'll probably come across several people with names identical to the ones you're looking for (I found three Honora Fitzpatricks and many James Fitzpatricks). The information I've posted on Honora was checked and cross-checked to confirm family connections, locations, dates, etc. Good luck!

Sources: 1850 and 1880 census records; newspaper clips; D. C. marriage & death records.

Thanks so much for sharing your research! I would love to have the information on her sons.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Honora Fitzpatrick after 1860's - Susan Higginbotham - 11-08-2013 10:08 AM