How grammatically stupid I am
11-07-2013, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2013 09:17 AM by Rob Wick.)
RE: How grammatically stupid I am
Quote:Although I pledged myself not to comment on this again and although the world sure will keep on turning even if I won't find out the following, but - I still don't know what "herein" refers to and thus if was her papers or your looking at them that needed all your efforts. Although I assume it was the papers, I still find the sentence, well...a bit odd. Also, "workings" and "study" IMO is a tautology. (Personally, I would prefer something like: "Reading her papers...,I soon realized they/this required another study".)

Eva,

"Herein" refers to the papers. Really, all I was trying to say is that by having the time to go over them slowly and deliberately, I realized that in those papers lay the raw material for a separate book from the Sandburg volume I plan to write. I thought I was putting it in a better form, but obviously not.

That is why I put it out there. Sometimes I get so wrapped up in what I'm trying to do I don't think about how other people hear it. I knew what I was trying to say but obviously didn't say it as well as I need to.

Just a side note. This is part of my book proposal. The only person who will see it is the editor of the University of Illinois Press that I will send it to. Yet, since he makes the determination as to whether or not it moves forward, his eyes are pretty important.

Thanks for all the comments.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
How grammatically stupid I am - Rob Wick - 11-06-2013, 12:07 PM
RE: How grammatically stupid I am - Gene C - 11-06-2013, 02:02 PM
RE: How grammatically stupid I am - Gene C - 11-06-2013, 02:56 PM
RE: How grammatically stupid I am - Gene C - 11-06-2013, 04:38 PM
RE: How grammatically stupid I am - Gene C - 11-06-2013, 06:33 PM
RE: How grammatically stupid I am - Gene C - 11-06-2013, 07:53 PM
RE: How grammatically stupid I am - Rob Wick - 11-07-2013 09:16 AM
RE: How grammatically stupid I am - Gene C - 11-07-2013, 06:29 AM