Lincoln, Saint or Sinner
11-01-2013, 03:53 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2013 03:54 PM by My Name Is Kate.)
RE: Lincoln, Saint or Sinner
(11-01-2013 08:31 AM)MaddieM Wrote:  No, I don't think the UK was any less guilty of prejudice - show me a country that isn't.

That was my point. Practically everybody at that time was prejudiced.

By December 31, 1862, it was beginning to look like the Union might win the war. It would have been foolish of the English cotton workers not to support it. That is just an observation, and not intended as proof that there was no altruism in the hearts of at least some of the workers.

http://sarahparkerremond.wordpress.com/2...blockades/

On 31 December 1862, a meeting of cotton workers at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester, despite their increasing hardship, resolved to support the Union in its fight against slavery. An extract from the letter they wrote in the name of the Working People of Manchester to His Excellency Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States of America says:

… the vast progress which you have made in the short space of twenty months fills us with hope that every stain on your freedom will shortly be removed, and that the erasure of that foul blot on civilisation and Christianity – chattel slavery – during your presidency, will cause the name of Abraham Lincoln to be honoured and revered by posterity. We are certain that such a glorious consummation will cement Great Britain and the United States in close and enduring regards.

—Public Meeting, Free Trade Hall, Manchester
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Lincoln, Saint or Sinner - MaddieM - 10-31-2013, 08:46 PM
RE: Lincoln, Saint or Sinner - Rob Wick - 10-31-2013, 10:04 PM
RE: Lincoln, Saint or Sinner - LincolnMan - 12-12-2013, 11:15 AM
RE: Lincoln, Saint or Sinner - MaddieM - 11-01-2013, 08:31 AM
RE: Lincoln, Saint or Sinner - My Name Is Kate - 11-01-2013 03:53 PM