Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary?
12-15-2013, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2013 10:22 AM by Mike B..)
RE: Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary?
(12-15-2013 01:05 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  As for the quote, you possibly mean what Abraham Lincoln said to a correspondent to the "Christian Register" at a White House reception: "My wife is as handsome as when she was a young girl and I, a poor nobody, fell in love with her, and what is more, I have never fallen out" ?!

Yes, that is the one. Didn't have it at my fingertips. I do believe the intamacy was a plus on the marriage for 10 years. Mary's letter from Lexington is full of wanting him if you read between the lines. I don't know what happened after Tad's birth may have injured Mary. But what happened later is again pure speculation.
Matt Pinkster did find a witness that saw them in bed together at the Anderson college, so I assume there was something still going on.Angel

In "Enigma," Richard Lawrence Miller paints a happy life for the house at 8th and Jackson. Also, Douglas Wilson questions the Herndon hated Mary meme as a circular argument. He feels that the hate didn't begin until Herndon gave the Ann Rutledge lecture in poor taste. So there is something for everyone.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary? - Gene C - 10-07-2013, 11:16 AM
RE: Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary? - Mike B. - 12-15-2013 10:06 AM