Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary?
10-08-2013, 07:46 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2013 12:11 AM by irshgrl500.)
RE: Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary?
As for the shopping addiction: I have mentioned the book Crowns of Thorns and Glory before - a comparison of Mary Lincoln and Varina Davis. It has been years since I read it, but one thing stuck in my mind. When she became First Lady, many of the merchants (especially in New York) sent items to her in order to gain favor and also publicity for their merchandise. She assumed they were gifts and used them. She found out later that bills had been sent separately. Whether this is true or not, I don't know; however, it bears a ring of truth to me. And, Donna McCreary has already given us a logical explanation for her purchase of so many gloves.
[/quote]

In all fairness, in the years since Mary was First Lady, haven't many First Ladies made this same mistake? It is an easy misconception; many businesses would benefit from a White House or First Lady's choice of their items. China, Crystal, Window treatments, Furnishings, the list is endless. So, when businesses or anyone sends the new First Lady, an assortment of say, Irish Linens, tablecloths and matching napkins, for 50 settings; this suggests a gift, or "compliments" of such & such co. I certainly wouldn't expect a bill. That's almost rude. Then again, when it was time to leave, the White House, at the end of my husband's term, I wouldn't assume the "gifts" or items, which I acquired were mine to take home, but that the items belong to the White House. Nancy Reagan i believe tried taking sets of dishes, with her, when departing the White House, and to settle in her permanent home in Bel Air. She argued that she paid for the items, which was also incorrect. The White House or the Federal Government paid the bills.

[font=Verdana][/font]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary? - Gene C - 10-07-2013, 11:16 AM
RE: Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary? - irshgrl500 - 10-08-2013 07:46 PM