Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary?
10-07-2013, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 07:37 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary?
According to what Abraham Lincoln said to a correspondent to the "Christian Register" at a White House reception he didn't regret: "My wife is as handsome as when she was a young girl and I, a poor nobody, fell in love with her, and what is more, I have never fallen out." (...after over twenty years...)
Recently I read the theory that a great deal of Herndon's charge that the Lincoln household was a "domestic hell" rooted in Herndon's dislike of their undisciplined children ("brats"). Interesting idea.

I second Roger's point of view. And in the end, Wilson, Burlingame et al. make up and argue their opinion from "consulting" and interpreting the available sources - and are probably also influenced by their own understanding and ideal of a happy marriage and family life. A lot of people can't understand that others have different values than they have. And living as only a "core family" without further relatives under the same roof in those days I think was an unusual lifestyle, too.

To all who want to read "Mary's story" from different point of view, I recommend "The trials of Mrs. Lincoln" by Samuel Schreiner. (Although the focus is on the insanety trials, it at least briefly covers her entire life). The author also shows therein that it is possible to explain her "insane" behavior, and one could understand the thoughts and fears he has put into Mary's mind as those of a human beings ones, not just as of those of a "hellcat'" or an "insane". And he offers a point of view on the marriage from which one could imagine that - despite the normal ups and downs - she might have been exactly the counterpart A. L. needed - personally and with regard to his career. I think Mary deserves this book to be read.

Does anyone know - was Abraham Lincoln present at the birth of any of his children? I think he was on the circuit when Willie and Tad were born (but I'm not sure), maybe at Robert's birth?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary? - Gene C - 10-07-2013, 11:16 AM
RE: Did Lincoln Regret Marrying Mary? - Eva Elisabeth - 10-07-2013 05:29 PM