Throwing more Mudd in the game
09-27-2013, 09:28 AM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game
Atzerodt's statements about what Booth had said about the New York crowd is intriguing to many of us -- and it was to Tidwell, Hall, and Gaddy. They focused primarily on the White House attack and were delighted when they found out that I knew William Seale, the White House historian/author and that he had visited Surratt House. I was put in charge of contacting Mr. Seale to inquire about the phrase "They knew an entrance to accomplish it through."

Mr. Seale was quick in his response - The underground sewer system that ran into the White House had pipes that were tall enough for men to walk through comfortably. If Harney had been able to get into that system, he stood a good chance of planting his bomb. I saw the same program that Roger refers to several years ago, and it was very effective in proving what Harney could have done. I believe that one line of thought also suggested that the bomb would be very effective if timed with a Cabinet meeting.

As to the New York crowd, I have had two thoughts on this: Could we be referring to the financial potentates of NYC, who certainly disliked Lincoln's policies? Or, should we consider western portions of the state where there was a heavy Copperhead movement?

I had the opportunity several years ago to read a hefty manuscript for an upcoming book which focuses on a particular businessman in the city who had gathered a gang of toughs to do in Mr. Lincoln. The manuscript made sense, but the citations were not specific enough for me. I do hope that it sees the light of day, however, so that others can study the propositions put forth by this author.

As for the Copperhead movement in western New York, there just seems to be more and more tidbits arising about the pockets of support there that need investigating as part of the overall Northwest Conspiracy (which I know very little about except for the "piracy" on the Great Lakes).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Throwing more Mudd in the game - L Verge - 09-23-2013, 11:49 AM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game - Rhatkinson - 09-24-2013, 04:16 PM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game - Rhatkinson - 09-25-2013, 09:02 AM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game - L Verge - 09-27-2013 09:28 AM