Throwing more Mudd in the game
09-27-2013, 12:43 AM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game
Reluctantly, I must reply to"A shot in the leg" Obviously, we can not comprehend the status of a slave in the 1860's. He (or she) was nothing. A Plantation Owner treated his horses with more respect than he did a slave. The horse was better fed, better housed, and was "loved". A horse cost more than a slave. A slave knew he had to work and obey and be punished - severely. Dr. Mudd chose this form of punishment to be appropriate. The slave may have been thankful, Mudd didn't kill him. I'll bet that Mudd then doctored the man back to health, even if it was to protect his investment.
While in prison, The Dr. even treated the guards who held him there.
Yes, Mudd's hands were dirty. No pun intended. He was a sympathizer - and proud of it.
I believe that Dr. Mudd was telling us that he did not know Booth when he opened the door and let him in. After he removed the disguise, if any, and listened to his story, if any, then he knew Booth.
Think about this. Booth sent items to the Tavern, "to be used that night", but then refused the "shootin' iron". That is a strong indication that circumstances had changed from the original plan.
As for the "Bumpy Oak", I worked in the "Pentagon" for years, and drove this road twice a day. In my day it was paved, two lanes wide, but there were no straight-aways, and it flooded often. What a perfect road to transport an abducted President along! It was also the shortest route to the Potomac.
Yes, I believe Harbin was on the "Secret Line". I believe he was THE BOSS of the line. He recommended Thomas Jones for his job.
P.S. I have been corresponding with a descendant of his - lives near Pittsburgh, PA.
Yes, I believe that Dr. Mudd was a member of the "Doctor Line". Yes, he delivered mail, news and whatever, throughout Southern MD. He had little contact with Spies moving up and down the "Secret Line.
My reference to the CRUTCH was in reply to the question "What else did he get at Mudd's ? It was intended to be sarcastic.
How can we say that Atzerodt was a liar and not to be believed, and in the next breath, say he is to be believed? I think they ALL lied when it suited their case and told the truth when it would divert the blame to someone else. Atzerodt was prone to brag -to show how important he was, when in fact he didn't know what he was talking about. As an example. he had a list of name for Slater, that reads like the "Litany to the Saints". (A Catholic Prayer that names Every Saint.) Atzerodt said many things, that much is true, but he was mostly wrong, and that is also true.
I hope I have addressed all questions concerning my posts. If not, please ask. I assume that you know what I am talking about. You guys are so thoroughly informed, cites are not required. 'sides, I might give the wrong cite.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Throwing more Mudd in the game - L Verge - 09-23-2013, 11:49 AM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game - Rhatkinson - 09-24-2013, 04:16 PM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game - Rhatkinson - 09-25-2013, 09:02 AM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game - SSlater - 09-27-2013 12:43 AM