Throwing more Mudd in the game
09-24-2013, 04:16 PM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game
WSanto wrote:

Mudd was a liar. We know this for a fact. He had previously spent enough time with the handsome and dashing Booth to recognize him the night of the assassination. One look in his eyes would be enough despite any false whiskers he later claimed Booth was wearing. Does anyone even doubt that?

I believe he was told exactly what happened in the early hours that morning and knew the facts when he treated Booth. He then did all he could to abet Booth's escape far beyond treating his broken leg. Most importantly, he did not report the "strangers" at his house for over 24-hr despite his knowledge that soldiers were in Bryantown searching for the assassins of Lincoln early Saturday afternoon.

Laurie's theory is no less plausible because Booth left Mudd's house with a crutch. It is possible Booth planned to stop at Mudd's as part of his escape and, since he now had an injured leg, was treated by Mudd.

I support Laurie's theory in part because of Atzerodt's statement and the fact that Booth had to stop SOMEWHERE on the night of the 14th once he escaped far enough into Maryland. He knew that he could not travel safely during the day, so he needed a place to stop. Why WOULDN'T he stop at Mudd's (who he knew well) when his home was on the projected kidnapping escape route? I would like to know what some believe Booth's route was further west to T.B., etc. What is this based on?

As to what Booth told Mudd the night of the 14th, I agree completely with Bill. Why on Earth would Booth (or Herold depending on which Lloyd statement you believe) brag to a stranger like Lloyd about killing the President, yet clam up to a fellow (kidnapping at least) conspirator like Mudd? It makes no sense and I believe that Mudd simply lied about that fact as he did many other facts.

Heath
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Throwing more Mudd in the game - L Verge - 09-23-2013, 11:49 AM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game - Rhatkinson - 09-24-2013 04:16 PM
RE: Throwing more Mudd in the game - Rhatkinson - 09-25-2013, 09:02 AM