One more post, on one broken leg.
09-21-2013, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2013 06:41 PM by L Verge.)
RE: One more post, on one broken leg.
I thought the flag in question was the Treasury Guards' flag and that it was on a staff???

Jerry's comment about Booth's instinct would be to grab the staff and lower himself gently to the stage is immediately what I thought of also when I read this. The dagger would be in his right hand, so grabbing for the staff would have to be done with his left -- seems awkward, unless he stood on the railing briefly and reached over to the staff.

If the box is decorated today exactly like it was that night, the photos show the Treasury flag on a staff in the center and a U.S. flag on staff at either end of the two boxes. The limited space in those two boxes called for bunched-up furniture, so getting to either of the end flags would be difficult. The Treasury flag is the likely culprit, either as the tripper or the staff provider. Personally, I have always assumed that Booth placed his left hand on the railing and vaulted over. That would have swung his legs out in close proximity to the Treasury Guard flag and the engraving of Washington.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: One more post, on one broken leg. - Hess1865 - 09-13-2013, 09:59 PM
RE: One more post, on one broken leg. - L Verge - 09-21-2013 06:20 PM