One more post, on one broken leg.
09-21-2013, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2013 09:09 PM by Anita.)
RE: One more post, on one broken leg.
Booth had a knife in one hand so I would think the other hand had to be on the rail of the box to allow him to volt over.

I found three accounts given by Hawk's in Good's book. None mention Booth grabbed the flag.

1. April 14 Hawk's was interviewed by Stanton and says "I was on the stage at the time of the firing and heard the report of the pistol. My back was towards the President's box at the time. I heard something tear and somebody fell and as I looked towards him and as he came in the direction in which I was standing..."

2. April 16 letter to his parents Harry Hawk
April 16th 1865

This is my first opportunity I have had to write to you since the assassination of our dear president on Friday night, as I have been in custody ever since. I was one of the principal (main) witnesses of the sad affair, having been on the stage at the time of the fatal shot. I was playing Asa Trenchard in “The American Cousin.” The old lady of the theater Mrs. Muzzey had just gone off the stage, and I was answering her exit speech, when I heard the shot fired. I turned, looked up at the president’s box, heard the man exclaim “Sic simper Tyrannis,” saw him jump from the staff and drop to the stage. ..."

3. 1894 Cincinati Commercial Gazette "I saw a man with a long dagger in front of the President's box. He jumped to the stage but before he jumped he shouted: 'sic semper tyrannis' although I did not understand the words at the time. The spur on his boot caught in the drapery of the box, and he fell to the stage.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: One more post, on one broken leg. - Hess1865 - 09-13-2013, 09:59 PM
RE: One more post, on one broken leg. - Anita - 09-21-2013 05:31 PM