In Mary's personal letters....
08-11-2014, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2014 03:00 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
RE: In Mary's personal letters....
Hi Donna!

This is amazing info-I've never read that info about Robert's birth.

Also, I agree with you. Due to the way their four children were spaced apart, I have always suspected that Abe and Mary practiced some form of family planning. She definitely breast fed each of them longer than was customary, so perhaps she was aware of the link between breast feeding and ovulation. I go back and forth over whether I think it was a mutual desire, or one of them-perhaps Mary-desired to limit the number of children. I suspect that they both would have adored a daughter but stopped after Tad, because Mary's deliveries were becoming increasingly difficult. Maybe they did not want to push their luck?

If Mary had lost her life giving birth, I wonder who would have gotten custody of Robert and any other children...Elizabeth and Ninian, or the Todds of Lexington? I can't see circuit riding Lincoln in the role of single father. And given how long it took him to get married in the first place, I don't believe he would have re-married quickly like his own father did after becoming a widower.

Again, awesome information...thank you!Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
In Mary's personal letters.... - eperon - 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM
RE: In Mary's personal letters.... - LincolnToddFan - 08-11-2014 02:33 PM
RE: In Mary's personal letters.... - Anita - 09-24-2017, 05:35 PM