President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862
09-23-2014, 04:56 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 05:14 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862
(09-23-2014 03:03 PM)My Name Is Katthis. id=38566 Wrote:Yes, but that is after the Civil War ended. What got him through all that hell? How could anyone face the prospect of being president in wartime without a strong faith?
I believe his faith grew with and due to the war events and Willie's death, and was at any time strong enough to serve as the source from which he drew his strength. This is what Mary told Herndon in Sept.1866:

"...he said — 'I shall rule myself — shall obey my own Conscience and follow God in it.' Mr Lincoln had no hope & no faith in the usual acceptation of those words: he never joined a Church: he was a religious man always, as I think: he first thought — to say think — about this subject was when Willie died — never before. he felt religious More than Ever about the time he went to Gettysburg: he was not a technical Christian: he read the bible a good deal about 1864."

In his fairwell address in Springfield, he already said: "Without the assistance of the Divine Being...I cannot succeed", and in his First Inaugural Address: "Intelligence, patriotism, Christianity, and a firm reliance on Him who has never yet forsaken this favored land are still competent to adjust in the best way all our present difficulty."

Please also check out this site: http://abrahamlincolnsclassroom.org/abra...lns-faith/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: President Lincoln and the Sioux Indian uprising in Minnesota in 1862 - Eva Elisabeth - 09-23-2014 04:56 PM
Lincoln and the Dakotas - L Verge - 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM