Exciting New Children's Book On The Way
08-09-2013, 11:49 PM
RE: Exciting New Children's Book On The Way
(08-09-2013 06:39 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Bill - I am quite sure that it will have to be approved, but it could fall under the category of supplemental reading. Even one or two copies in a reading corner would be great. I have been out of the school system for so long that I don't know what the requirements are. If it could only pass the muster of the Texas system. I think they are still the largest purchaser of textbooks.

Eva - You are so right. I polished my love of history during grades 4-8 by reading the old Classic Comics series (and developed a terrible crush on Prince Valiant in the process!). As far as encouraging cartooning: During June and July, Surratt House sponsored an art competition for middle school and high school students based on the theme of What The Emancipation Proclamation Means To Me In 2013. We didn't get very many entries, but one of my favorites was a cartoon depiction of Union action figures breaking the chains of slaves and sending the the freed people to Mr. Lincoln. What made it even more special to me was the young artist's background. He is an 8th grader from Baltimore and a legal immigrant from Nigeria.

My favorite entry used the broken chain theme also, but surrounded it with drawings of graduating seniors (black, brown, Oriental, and white), athletes, entertainers, scientists, astronauts, etc. All with the same theme of equality among the races.

The winner was another 8th grader from a county about two hours away from Surratt House. She is an excellent artist and did a modern interpretation entitled Color Blind. She won a certificate and $250. Other entrants won a certificate and a $25 gift card for their efforts. We displayed all the entries in our Visitors' Center through the first weekend in August.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the great post Laurie. I agree with you, some of my fondest moments were reading comic books as a child. Traditional Superhero were fun but I loved the classics like Treasure Island and Moby *****. This really sparked my love for reading.

Your art contest sounds incredible. I was just reading about it on your website and then you mention it in your post. Some of these works sound amazing. The topic of the Emancipation depicted in art is fascinating, there comes to mind any number of awe inspiring images. I would love to see them. What a great contest to get kids involved with history and seeing on the canvas their interpretation. Have you ever posted any pictures of the winners and/or the contestant pieces?

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Exciting New Children's Book On The Way - brtmchl - 08-09-2013 11:49 PM
RE: Exciting New Children's Book On The Way - Hess1865 - 08-23-2013, 08:15 PM