Preservation of historical sites
07-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Preservation of historical sites
In the Lincoln assassination realm, we are very fortunate to have so many of the historical sites associated with the crime and flight preserved. The town of Port Royal especially comes to mind when you consider the number of existing homes that were there in 1865.

Today is the 150th anniversary of the attack on Ft. Wagner in my home state of SC. As all here surely know, this was the battle depicted in the movie "Glory". In trying to find the fort myself a few years ago, I was very disappointed to learn that practically nothing of it remains. Unlike the growth of shoreline in places like NYC from earlier times, the shore that Ft. Wagner was on literally was swallowed by the ocean. At least it wasn't ruined by human construction, but it still is sad that such historical places are not preserved. Here's a picture showing the fort then and what remains now:

Also, if you haven't seen it in awhile, the final battle scene in "Glory" is really well done (it starts at around the 2:30 mark of the video below.) I take some solace in feeling compelled to pull for the 54th against my ancestors in the movie by the fact that the CSA actually won the battle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NYB67m1ccg
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Preservation of historical sites - Rhatkinson - 07-18-2013 09:16 AM